There are thousands of blogs floating through the vast space of the internet. However, the best blogs are like cream, they float to the top. But how do we separate the “superstar” blog posts from the mediocre? Better yet, how do we create sensational blog posts that rise to the top of the internet food chain?
First, we need to understand exactly why blogging is important to small businesses. There is a lengthy list of blogging benefits, but let’s narrow it down to the most important points.
- Boosts brand loyalty
- Increases traffic to your website
- Establishes you as an expert in your industry
- Interaction with customers and potential clients
- Provides educational marketing
- Easily read by search engines to boost rankings
Now that you understand why it is vital for small businesses to utilize a blog, let’s break down the anatomy of a “superstar” post, and how you can create them for your blog.
- Exciting, Eye-catching Title
The title is the first part of a post that the reader sees. If the title does not “pop” or stand out, you could be losing readers in the first few seconds. Be sure to engage your reader and make them interested in what you have to say.
- Unique Content
Never copy anyone else’s work or commit plagiarism. Not only is it illegal, but Google also will flag these posts as “duplicate content”. It will result in lower rankings and decreased traffic. Write in your own words, and make it original!
- Relevant Images
Add images that are relative to your blogging topic. Keep the images high quality, and appropriately sized. A good general size to aim for is near 400×600. Always put at least one picture in each post.
Links are extremely important to lead potential clients to your website and your social media sharing sites. You can also provide internal links to other articles inside of your blog.
Find out what your customers are searching for, and tap into their wants and needs. You want to make sure you are blogging about information that is relative to your customers and potential clients. Remember that you are the expert, and you must come across as one in your posts. Read up on all the latest industry news, and stay on top of trends.
- Word Count
The length of your post often correlates with the type of post you are publishing. Some posts will be only 100 words, but most call for around 250-500 words. Keep in mind that you are providing information to an audience, so you want to be detailed and specific.
- Personality/ Conversational Tone
This is one of the most important traits of a “superstar” blog posts. Readers love when it feels like you are talking with them. Find your writing “voice” and sound unique. Act like you are talking to a friend, don’t make it an essay. Keep it conversational, it’s all about interaction.
- Call to Action
Many experts agree that this is one of the most essential components of a successful blog post. This urges customers and readers to interact in some form or another. Encourage your readers to leave comments and feedback. Some readers need that extra nudge, so don’t be afraid to ask them to comment, subscribe, vote, or answer a question. If you want them to purchase something, build trust and give them a reason to come back and spend money with you. Remember to only create one call to action per post, so you don’t overwhelm your readers.
There are other aspects to consider as well. Once you have these basics down, you can move on to more advanced practices.
Extras To Consider
- SEO Add-ons- The “All-In-One SEO” Add-on in a WordPress blog can provide an SEO boost by making it search-engine friendly. Only add this feature if you are comfortable with installing software and all blog functions.
- Categories- Adding categories will make your blog look more organized and professional. They also make navigating a touch easier than simply scrolling through archived blog posts.
- Formatting- Lists, picture placement, and highlighted text are all important aspects to consider when creating a post. You can make text bold or italicized to reiterate a point or stimulate a reader’s interest.
While you have the correct formula to construct influential posts, there are still a few common mistakes to avoid.
What To Avoid in a Blog Post
- Sounding like an advertisement: No reader wants to be flat out told that they should buy something. Instead, try to give them as much information as possible about the item or service, to influence the customer to make an informed decision.
- Bad grammar and Punctuation: This is one of the fastest ways to turn off your audience. Needless to say, bad grammar and punctuation make your blog look sloppy and unprofessional. Have a friend or family member look over your post before you publish, and ALWAYS use spell check!
- Skipping the “Preview” Button: Check and proofread everything in your post from top to bottom. Click the “Preview” button to view how your post looks on your blog before publishing. Always make sure that all your pictures, links, and text is properly formatted before hitting the publish button. Remember that the internet has a long memory, and it does not easily forget a bad post.
- Copying & Pasting: As mentioned before, avoid copying and pasting at ALL COSTS. Always put your own unique spin on your blogs posts to show your individuality and creativity.
Congratulations! Now you have all the ingredients in the recipe for a “superstar” blog post. With this power comes great responsibility. Remember that each post is a blank canvas in which you can make an impression on potential clients and customers. You have the power to influence and invite readers back for more expert information. Don’t just stop at one great post, you should be posting one to three times per week. So roll up your sleeves, do some research, and become a blogging superstar!
Created By Simone Johnson Social Media Tech